Friday, March 30, 2012

Manage SQL Express Over Lan

Hey Everyone

I have a desktop machine and a laptop machine. Both have XP Pro. I prefer to code on my laptop, but I want to use my desktop machine as a home server/development environment because its always on. I have IIS (HTTP and FTP), .NET 2.0, my mp3 server, etc up and running just fine on my desktop.

When I'm working on an application, I access the site with VWD through a network share. It's worked great so far. What I haven't been able to do, however, is connect to the database with VWD or Management Studio Express. I don't even really know where to begin with this one. What I don't want to do is open this up to the internet. I'd like to just keep it accessible from the LAN (the database, not the website)

I'm new to database stuff, and I don't really know where to look to figure out how to do this. Basically, I want to have the same functionality with VWD or Management Studio that I would have if I was physically on the machine with the SQL Express server.

If anyone can provide some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Brandon

Any advice?|||

If you develop in your laptop then just get the no deployment Developer edition so you can develop with VWD in your laptop and move only finished code to the desktop. That way Express and IIS in the desktop will be deployment testing place because you can deploy with Express in house. If you choose to get it try the link below for the SQL Server 2005 developer edition. Hope this helps.

http://www.provantage.com/microsoft-e32-00575~7MCSB0EX.htm

|||

Thanks for the post!

Sorry. What I said was very vague.

I prefer to write code on my laptop, but the code is actually stored on my desktop. I access it from my laptop with a network share. I don't want my laptop to run IIS or SQL, that's what I want the desktop to do. So far, everything is working great. My desktop has IIS and SQL running very well. The problem is that I don't know how to work on the databases from my laptop. I can access the application code on my desktop through a network share, but I don't know how to access the SQL Server on my desktop.

Any ideas?

|||

If SQL Server is not in your laptop it is remote so you have to configure remote connection and if you don't have Management Studio installed you need it to configure the connection. The links below will help you and I don't know about VWD your should have a datalink property. At this moment you have developed only the application layer but you need both to run your application. Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/compare/default.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2005/05/05/415084.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914277

|||You're amazing! Thank you!|||

bqmassey:

You're amazing! Thank you!

I am glad I could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment