Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Manage MSDE databases with SSMS?

We have an XP workstation containing a very important MSDE-based
application. Its MSDE database isn't likely to change for quite a
while.
The app contains an internal backup method (File, Backup, Backup) and
an auxiliary app/script for shrinking the database and logs. I would
like to automate the backup and shrinking so end users don't have to
remember to do them.
The workstation has a static IP so it can go out to the Internet when
necessary. The workstation is presently not joined to the domain.
1. Can I install SSMS Express *only* as a local app (without SQL
Express 2005) and thus use SSMS to set up nightly backups and periodic
shrink database/logs jobs?
2. We have SSMS running on SQL 2005 server box in the domain. If I
join the workstation only to the domain (local account logon is not
changed, still used), could I use SSMS from the SQL 2005 box? Would I
need a domain login on the XP box to make this work?
Thank you, Tom
I stand corrected...I know one is not supposed to double-post.
I found this NG after I had posted to the other groups, and I could
not figure out how active the other two groups are, and this NG had
more past posts about SSMS/MSDE than the other groups, so it seemed
appropriate to also inquire here.
Thank you, Tom
|||FYI, you can add as many newsgroups as you like to the Newsgroups header and
the post appears in all of them as does the replies. He wasn't suggesting
you shouldn't post in more than one group, just don't do it individually.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"tlyczko" <tlyczko@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1185491191.280988.292210@.19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
>I stand corrected...I know one is not supposed to double-post.
> I found this NG after I had posted to the other groups, and I could
> not figure out how active the other two groups are, and this NG had
> more past posts about SSMS/MSDE than the other groups, so it seemed
> appropriate to also inquire here.
> Thank you, Tom
>
|||Andrew J. Kelly (sqlmvpnooospam@.shadhawk.com) writes:
> FYI, you can add as many newsgroups as you like to the Newsgroups header
> and the post appears in all of them as does the replies. He wasn't
> suggesting you shouldn't post in more than one group, just don't do it
> individually .
Since tlyczko seems to have found this group after his first post, that
appears a little difficult to do. But he could have had some patience
before he tried this forum.
I saw that tlyczko had another question about activity in
comp.databases.ms-sqlserver this morning. It seems to me that while
comp.databases.ms-sqlserver has a fairly low traffic, it still more active
than the .tools newsgroup, which is kind of funny. But many tools questions
are asked in the "big" groups .programming and .server. It appears that
Microsoft has been a bit over-zealous when set up the various sets of
groups.
And I should explain the reason double-posting is bad, is that it could
lead to people wasting time on answering a question that already has a good
answer elsewhere.
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
|||Yeah...I really don't think people understand this. To them,
they are getting feedback from several different sources so
they think it's good.
An indirect bad effect - I encourage customers to search
newsgroups to find answers. I just got an email from
someone who said most of the answers to the question they
searched on were "already answered in another
newsgroup...please don't multipost" and they couldn't find
where it was actually answered.
-Sue
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:36:29 +0000 (UTC), Erland Sommarskog
<esquel@.sommarskog.se> wrote:

>And I should explain the reason double-posting is bad, is that it could
>lead to people wasting time on answering a question that already has a good
>answer elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment