Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Making subtotals

Hello Everyone,

I have a dimension that has the following members:

Directors

Senior Managers

Managers

Senior Associates

Associates

But they way they need to be displayed includes subtotals. Senior Managers and Managers are placed into Management and Staff is a total of everyone except Directors. They should appear on the report in something like this:

Directors 10

Senior Managers 15

Managers 9

Management 24

Senior Associates 17

Associates 40

Staff 81

Total 91

What is the best way to do this? Right now I am using a matrix because I am also showing headcounts by Period. Is a table a better way to go? Is it something that should be done in my dimension?

I can do the Total part. I am just not sure how to make the subtotals inbetween the other lines.

Thank you for the help.

-Gumbatman

If you set up your hierarchy, you should be able to this just fine. Have levels that indicate whether someone is a Director or Staff, and another level that indicates whether they're Management or NonManagement. Then you should be able to easily have the subtotals, with drill-down as appropriate.

Rob|||

Rob,

Thank you for the answer - it was exactly what I needed. Because the way we currently do reporting, a static Excel sheet that is printed, I never even thought of using a drilldown.

-Gumbatman

No comments:

Post a Comment