Friday, March 30, 2012

Manage server in single user mode

Hello-
I am trying to use SQL server in single user mode to move the system
databases to a different drive as described in KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071/
I have sql server started up in single user mode with the other startup
options configured as required. However I can not seem to find a way that it
will let me log in in order to run the procedures. The SQL server agent is
stopped as described in order to not use up the available connection.
Whenever I try to connect with SQL Server management studio it says "Login
failed for user xxxx. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one
administrator can connect at this time (Error 18461)."
I am the only person who even knows about this server so I know no one else
is conecting to it. I thought it would work to try and do this procedure
through the command line but i cant figure out how to connect to the server
using the command line (im doing this all local on the server).
Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to go about this or what I could
be doing wrong?
Thanks!It's probably from Object Explorer - you probably have SSMS
configured to open Object Explorer at startup. Close object
explorer and try to connect. You can hit cancel when the
Login dialog comes up and and SSMS opens with no connection.
Then close object explorer. Then connect using New Query.
-Sue
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:26:02 -0700, Ehren
<Ehren@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hello-
>I am trying to use SQL server in single user mode to move the system
>databases to a different drive as described in KB article
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071/
>I have sql server started up in single user mode with the other startup
>options configured as required. However I can not seem to find a way that it
>will let me log in in order to run the procedures. The SQL server agent is
>stopped as described in order to not use up the available connection.
>Whenever I try to connect with SQL Server management studio it says "Login
>failed for user xxxx. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one
>administrator can connect at this time (Error 18461)."
>I am the only person who even knows about this server so I know no one else
>is conecting to it. I thought it would work to try and do this procedure
>through the command line but i cant figure out how to connect to the server
>using the command line (im doing this all local on the server).
>Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to go about this or what I could
>be doing wrong?
>Thanks!|||On Jul 24, 2:25 am, Sue Hoegemeier <Su...@.nomail.please> wrote:
> It's probably from Object Explorer - you probably have SSMS
> configured to open Object Explorer at startup. Close object
> explorer and try toconnect. Youcanhit cancel when the
> Login dialog comes up and and SSMS opens with no connection.
> Then close object explorer. Thenconnectusing New Query.
> -Sue
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:26:02 -0700, Ehren
>
> <Eh...@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >Hello-
> >I am trying to use SQLserverinsingleusermodeto move the system
> >databases to a different drive as described in KB article
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071/
> >I have sqlserverstarted up insingleusermodewith the other startup
> >options configured as required. However Icannot seem to find a way that it
> >will let me log in in order to run the procedures. The SQLserveragent is
> >stopped as described in order to not use up the available connection.
> >Whenever I try toconnectwith SQLServermanagement studio it says "Login
> >failed foruserxxxx. Reason:Serveris insingleusermode. Onlyone
> >administratorcanconnectat thistime(Error 18461)."
> >I am theonlyperson who even knows about thisserverso I know nooneelse
> >is conecting to it. I thought it would work to try and do this procedure
> >through the command line but i cant figure out how toconnectto theserver
> >using the command line (im doing this all local on theserver).
> >Cananyone give me any suggestions on how to go about this or what I could
> >be doing wrong?
> >Thanks!- Hide quoted text -
> - Show quoted text -
The process is
NET START MSSQLSERVER /f /T3608 (as per MS article)
Make sure no other SQL tools are running (config manager etc)
Start SQL Server management studio
When it prompts you to connect to the server press cancel (if you
press connect it is THIS connection which prevents you from running
the alter database query)
At this point you are not connected to anything (it will say "No
Server Connection" in big letters)
Press the New Query button
Paste your amended alter database code into thew query pane and
execute
Continue as per article
Cheers
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment