Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Manage instances in another machine

I'm trying to manage another SQL Server 2005 instance in another machine. I'm doing this by connecting to another computer thru Computer Management. When I go the SQL Server 2005 Services, the right pane is showing There are no items to show in this view. How can I view the services?

Another problem that I have is that I have to turn off the Windows Firewall in the other machine. What exceptions are needed? I have tried by adding the specific TCP used by the instance.As far as I know the Computer management console can only adminsiter the local instances fpr Sql Server 2005.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||

Jens is right, you have to enable SQL Server remote access from the console of the server. Here's a couple relevant pages explaining how to enable remote access to SQL Server:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3bEN-US%3b914277

http://www.aspcode.net/articles/l_en-US/t_default/Databases/SQL-Server/SQL-Server-2005-Expressremote-connection_article_123.aspx

Once you have remote access enabled, you can manage your server using SQL Server Management Studio from other machines.

Hope this helps,
Steve

|||

Hi Steven,

I'm following this MS article: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms190622.aspx

I can connect to the SQL Server Configuration Manager of the remote computer thru Computer Management. I can enable and disable protocols under both SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration and SQL Native Client Configuration. However, SQL Server 2005 Services will only show "There are no items to show in this view". It does not make sense to me since I can control the services thru Services but not thru SQL Server 2005 Services under SQL Server Configuration Manager.

I have disabled Windows Firewall and SQL Browser service is running.

Peter

|||If you login is a part of local administrator group on that server then using Computer Management console can do the job as it relies on the user privileges, as explained above for the SQL Configuration manager you can only manage local instances.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment